Notice: Undefined variable: attachments in /home2/jaearly/public_html/organicgardening365.com/wp-content/plugins/sociable/includes/sociable_output.php on line 139
How do I start an organic garden?
If you’ve never gardened before, or never gardened organically, it may seem like a whole lot to figure out all at once.
- When do I plant my seeds?
- How do I start a compost pile?
- How much food can I/should I grow?
- How do I get rid of the bugs that are eating my lettuce?
- The list goes on and on…
After 35 years of gardening, the last 20 organically, I have gathered bits and pieces of gardening wisdom from experienced gardeners, research, and good old trial and error. Ultimately, my garden has been my best teacher. And I’m learning new stuff all the time.
There have been big life-lessons for sure. But then there are all the little details of things like when to pinch the suckers off the tomato vines.
How to start an organic garden: If you’re familiar with my blog, you have probably seen my “OG 365 Timeless Gardening Tips” series. At first they were brief little emails, but then grew into full-fledged articles.
After numerous requests, I have put them all together on this page so you can see them in one fell swoop. It’s a great place to get an overview of the things you’ll need to think about when you start gardening organically. I haven’t covered every topic and by no means every little detail, but I’ve tried to give you some basics to get you started growing your own organic food.
I hope you will learn as I have by talking to other gardeners, doing lots of research, and trying new things in your garden. Hopefully the articles below will be a springboard for your new adventure of gardening organically.
As always, let me know what you find helpful.
Organic Gardening 365 Timeless Gardening Tips
2. Keep track of things: 3 Reasons You Should Keep a Multi-year Gardener’s Journal
4. How much to plant: “How much food should I plant in my organic garden?”
5. Ordering from catalogs: Don’t Buy Everything You See in the Garden Catalog
6. When do I plant stuff? When to Plant Your Organic Vegetable Garden: 7 Questions You Must Answer First
7. Succession planting: How to Grow More Food in Your Organic Garden with Succession Plantings
8. Extend the growing season: 7 Ways to Grow More Food by Planting Earlier in the Spring and Extending Your Harvest into Fall and Winter
9. Seed packets–follow the instructions: True confessions of a 20-year gardener OR How to Read Seed Packets and Get the Most out of Your Organic Garden
13. Worm composting: How to Choose the Worm Composter That’s Right for You
14. Container gardening: 14 No-nonsense Tips for Successful Organic Container Gardening
15. Children in the garden: Get Your Kids to Help You in the Garden
18. Organic lawn care: Book Review: “The Organic Lawn Care Manual” by Paul Tukey
19. Community gardening: 11 Ways to Get Involved in or Create Your Own Gardening Community
20. Growing extra produce: Why You Should Grow Extra Produce in Your Organic Garden
21. Raising chickens: 9 Reasons You Should Raise Your Own Organic Chickens
23. Keep learning: Some Very Basic Organic Gardening Advice: Stay in “Learning Mode”
Don’t miss a single update. Click here to sign up for the OG 365 Blog (and get a free gift).